Saturday, February 11, 2006

Granddogs...Grandkids...

Grandkids, granddogs...What's the difference? Around here, not much. I have the granddogs this weekend while their family is out of town. It is just plain weird with these two. They don't know they are dogs, first of all. and they like to sleep with me (I don't mind too much, they are warm and snuggly). Francesca Elizabeth, the mini-dachsund, likes to get between the top sheet and the comforter and curl up by my feet. Heaven forbid I should move my feet! She growls and sighs with exasperation. Gracie, 80 pounds of dog with a lot of air between her ears, doesn't move at all -- unless I roll over. Then she has to get up, walk around on the bed, step on me, get down, bark at something, back on the bed, circling, until she finally can lie down again. It is exhausting trying to sleep with these two. I miss my little guy. He is with a different gramma this weekend, charming the socks off everyone there. He turned two on Thursday, a remarkable accomplishment when we remember his first day of life. Mama's uterus had ruptured, he was a month early, she was losing copious amounts of blood, he was on oxygen, and my principal didn't want to let me leave to go to the hospital. It was pretty exciting... and now he is 34 inches tall, 35 pounds, and talks like crazy. I have to be honest with the world here, and admit that I do have the top 4 grandchildren ever born. If only I could have them all here...

4 comments:

Steve said...

Grandkids are more fun. You can (sometimes) understand what they're saying when they talk. Granddogs, are easier to please. All you have to do is pet them and you're their friend for life.

A prayer I saw once somewhere:
"Dear God, please help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Kirsten said...

Welcome back, Gramma! You've been missed.

Gramma said...

Good to be back. Good grief, this computer stuff is hard, sometimes@

Cassie said...

I didn't know you were back until you emailed me about paragraphs. I can't believe you don't know how to sleep with our dogs by now; you get Chesca under all the covers and all the way at the foot of the bed. You get Gracie on the pillow opposite to where you sleep and you sleep on the couch.