Sunday, February 5, 2006

Phantoms and Cable and a Quiet House, oh my!

It's been nearly a month since I tried to blog. The best I could do was a headline. I wrote Blogger several times, and always the same automated response: go look at the FAQ. Today, on a whim, I tried, and look at me! Whee! Ok, I tried to make a new paragraph, and the curser/cursor disappears. Which way is that spelled? So I had no cable all day yesterday, and the house was strangely silent. I hadn't realized how much I depend on the tv to dispell the silence. The tv gives the illusion of people present. Being alone is not a bad thing, and can be pleasant. What I don't like are those moments when I suddenly feel lonely. Well, what are you gonna do? Me? I got creative. Finished knitting a scarf, mended a quilt, began a new knit scarf, worked on xstitch, and watched the movie, Phantom of the Opera (Andrew Lloyd Webber's version). It must be 13 years since I saw the stage version, and the movie came out in 2004. I bought it, but never watched it until last night. I'm still blown away. In fact, I watched it, spellbound, then played it again. It is a silly story. The Phantom runs around in a billowing cape that impossibly never gets in his way; he runs away from gypsies as a child, yet somehow manages to become a gifted singer as well as architect and engineer... Christine is hopelessly innocent (I believe the actress was just turning 18 during production) ... we are teased and tormented through maudlin drama and it isn't until the very end that we learn what really happened in the catacombs ... But it captivated me. I can't imagine what it must have been like to see it on the big screen, and I'm probably better off seeing it in my own living room. The music is so haunting. And lucky me, I work with a woman who spent some time as Webber's assistant: I'll be chatting her up tomorrow.

No comments: