Sunday, April 30, 2006

Little Red Trike

Men and wheels. It's uncanny how that affinity develops. It almost seems to be intrinsic to the male gene. Shopping today with DD and my little guy, who is 27 months. The first thing he spied was a small, 12" two-wheeler hanging from a frame with a lot of other bikes. "Mine!" he shrieked. But a few minutes later he spotted the little red tricycle. It is a RadioFlyer, and really just a generic tricycle. He climbed on and scooted himself around the store. I tried to show him how to peddle, but he was absolutely in heaven just pushing with his feet. When he finally got off and another little child got on and rode the trike away, DD said he looked like his heart was broken. He went around the corner and found another one, identical, grabbed the handle and wheeled it around with him. He did not let go. He dragged that trike everywhere. I watched him toddling down the aisle, hand on the handlebar, tricycle rolling along beside him. Well, what choice did I have? It rode beside him all the way home, and though he was sound asleep by then, I think he knew it was there. DD said he played with it in the house this afternoon. It kind of reminds me of his Uncle's excitement when he got to drive his dad's shiny red mustang to prom... men and wheels.

1 comment:

Seeker said...

Yes, it starts very young...
p.s. I would've bought it too.