Tuesday, June 13, 2006

I think I can...I think I can...I think I can...

Surely I can last three more days. So little time, and so much yet to do! Yesterday I filed a CPS report, and another one today. Spent half an hour talking to the nicest young police officer - same age as my DS. Tomorrow I have two end-of-year assemblies; one in the afternoon at my afternoon school, and one in the evening at my morning school. I will be presenting the President's Award for Academic Excellence, which goes to students who have maintained a B+ or better through 4th and 5th grades. Once the assemblies are over, I have two offices to strip and check out of for the summer. I suppose all school districts do this: we have to put everything away, in boxes or cupboards, so rooms can be taken care of in the summer. Carpets get cleaned, floors stripped and waxed, desks scrubbed inside and out, chalkboards recoated or whiteboards re-whatever-it-is-they-need, windows scrubbed and walls (every few years) painted. In August we go back and put it all together again. I wonder how many other industries do this type of thing? Two years ago my school closed, so we had to pack everything for moving to a new building. Not so bad for me (an office isn't that big), but a lot of work for the classroom teachers. Thursday is the last school day of the year; students will leave at 11:30 and be back on their bikes within half an hour. Friday is that last LID day. I don't mind too much. We'll be meeting at the Landmark Convention Center, they'll give us lunch and all the coffee we wnt all day. And I can draw pictures while I listen. Or I might take my knitting. If it is cool enough, I can knit, and maybe finish the shawl I'm working on.

1 comment:

Seeker said...

Here come the dog days of summer... right around the corner.

How well I remember the excitement, as a child, of getting out of school for summer vacation. AND the smell of school on the first day back; that mixture of varnish and old books...