Monday, July 31, 2006

Dinner With a 2 Year Old

The only thing more exciting than dinner with a 2-y-o is dinner with my son's 3 (ages 7, 4, and 2). We went to Appleby's. Jack stood next to me in the booth for the hour and a half we were there, with a grip on the neck of my shirt that he seldom relaxed. He was loud and silly. When his momma put the straw hotpad on her head he shrieked, grabbed it, and put it on my head - then told the restaurant that it was a Bob da Mato hat. He put it on his head, back on my head, back on his head, until it fell down behind )we were at the end of the row, so there was nothing behind us. He wore my watch for 2 or 3 seconds, then carefully placed it as high as he could reach on the wooden venetian blind. He stirred my salad with his applesauce spoon, telling me he "fix food for you, Yaya."

The best part (being there was more fun than you are having reading about it, I'm sure), for me, and the thing that just about had me wetting myself, was when he put the dessert menu over his face and said, "Where me go? I can't find me! Here I am!" The waitress, in a vain attempt to distract him, gave him a balloon. We petted the balloon, talked to the balloon, "lost" the balloon, kissed the balloon, looked at people through the balloon...and all at full volume. I'm sure you had to be there, but I was, and I'm still grinning. His momma is checking his cold medicine to see if it causes exciteability...

3 comments:

Seeker said...

I know EXACTLY what you mean. Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

Cassie said...

You didn't even mention how I dumped my pop into my purse. Geez.

Hannelie said...

That souns like fun, lately we are trying to get our little one to not keep looking and smilling at every one in restaurants but to eat his food, but he is starting to hate the high chair and wants out!!