Saturday, September 9, 2006

Jamie Lynn Fallon

She is only a name to me. I dont know know if she was someone with an "important" job, or if she was a clerk. I don't know anything about the family she left behind. I don't know what she enjoyed in her free time. Was she someone's wife, mother? Did she knit or waterski? Here's what I do know about Jamie Lynn Fallon: she went to work that day, expecting to do her job. She didn't know she would die. She never planned to be a victim or a martyr. I don't know if she practiced Islam, Buddhism, or Christianity.

She died on September 11, 2000. While she died, I was 3,000 miles away, getting dressed for my job as a counselor at an Air Force elementary school, and listening to the radio. When the newscaster said a plane had crashed into one of the towers, I thought he meant a small, private plane, one of those little 2-person jobbies... and when I arrived at school that morning, one of the first things I heard was a parent telling her friend, "My husband is TDY at the pentagon. I don't know if he's alive."

In my lifetime I have heard, "Remember the Maine!" "Remember the Alamo!" "Remember Pearl Harbor!" And now, "Remember 9-11!" No, I don't personally remember the first three - I wasn't born yet. Every war must have its own horror that is remembered by that generation. 9-11 will be history to my grandchildren, as Pearl Harbor was to me. And yet, Pearl Harbor touched me because it touched my father, who was sitting in a movie theater when the film was interrupted by the announcement that all servicemen were to report immediately for duty, whether or not they were on leave. And I remember a sermon one Sunday in December, 1965, on the 20th anniversary. Twenty years was So Long Ago when I was 16. Today, Pearl Harbor was 61 years ago, and 9-11 was five years ago. And both of them seem only months in the past.

We cannot forget that people who went innocently about their business that day became the unwitting, unwilling targets of others who had no respect for human life. We cannot ever forget the innocent victims in any war. Jamie Lynn Fallon is only one, and never knew she was giving her life for a cause. I pray that her family is able now to remember her without so much pain.

5 comments:

Hannelie said...

Gramma, this is a beautifull written piece. Whow!

Hliza said...

Yes, it's a big day now for our generation..the day the whole world changed.

Dariana said...

A beautiful tribute. Thank you for participating.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the nice words about Jamie. I did a search on her name today hoping to find some update about her family. I knew her, and served aboard the USNS Concord with her. She was truly a free spirit with a huge, bright smile. She loved life, her friends, and her family. She left behind an infant son, Kaleb. Donations can be made at the following website for his trust fund. https://www.usnscf.com/giving/KalebFallonTrustFund.aspxaleb.
Rest in peace Jamie.
Sherrye Lamma (IT2)

Anonymous said...

Hello there,
I actually did know Jamie. I met her in the 8th grade and we were friends up until the day she died. I hate that I am 30 years old and I can say that about someone I was so close to and would be the same age as I am if that terrible day had never happened.
She was somebody's mother. She was somebody's sister, she was somebody's daughter and she was my friend.
Not a day goes by that my family does not miss her dearly.
She loved sunflowers, she loved to laugh and when we were teenagers she loved mischief.
She was a good soldier and a great ,other who did not get nearly enough time with her beautiful son.
She had a laugh that could shake a room and was contagious!
Thank you for writing this tribute. She is gone from this world but, she will never be forgotten.
Heather Kilgore