Sunday, November 26, 2006

Christmas is coming,

The goose is getting fat.
Please put a penny
In an old man's hat.
If you haven't got a penny,
A ha'penny will do.
If you haven't got a ha'penny,
Then God Bless You.

No idea where or when I learned this rhyme. I like it, though. And it kind of makes me think of the Salvation Army Bell Ringers. My mom and dad believed in the Salvation Army, and a childhood Christmas tradition was putting loose change in the kettle. I also remember mom and dad discussing how much they would send in a check to the SA. So, of course, I continued the tradition, and when my children were young, I gave them change to drop into the kettle.

There was a bellringer at one of the stores I visited over this holiday weekend. Since I didn't roam very far or visit very many places, it had to have been Michael's, I think. Anyway, I was delighted to see that dear person, a lovely man who offered God's blessing to me as I dropped in a small donation. For years a bellringer would linger outside Target, and I always felt happy at this childhood memory. When Target decided against having the bellringers, I thought it was the end of an era, so I was doubly pleased to the gentleman this weekend.

I have a lot of admiration for people who act on their faith. I admire the Mormon missionaries who come by, and the Jehovahs who proselytize on my street - even though I am not willing to convert - and the bellringers who donate their time to collecting.

I do believe that I have a ministry, too. My ministry includes working with children, it includes my art and my writing and my needlework. Hmm. I'll have to think about that.

2 comments:

Hliza said...

It's a wonderful tradition your parents had passed to you. I believe your kids will pass it on too. The world will be much nicer if we have more people like you.

Cassie said...

I just saw that Target has teamed up with Salvation Army, as has Denny's. We "adopted" a boy for Christmas this year through the SA's giving tree.