Saturday, November 11, 2006

How it began...

I had to look it up to check the accuracy of my memory, and it's a good thing I did, because I didn't have it quite right.

Veteran's Day had its beginnings at the end of WWI. At 11:00 in the morning, on the 11th day of the 11th month - November 11, 1918, a truce was signed which ended the first World War.

World War I involved 35 countries and was proclaimed "the war to end all wars."

"(Armistice) day was set aside to reflect and remember the sacrifices men and women made during World War I in order to ensure peace. The first official celebration was on November 11th, 1919. Veterans who survived the war marched in parades and were hometown heroes. A Veteran is any soldier who has fought in a war. Ceremonies were held and speeches were made. World War I was called ‘the war to end all wars’ because everyone hoped there would never be another one.

Almost 20 years later in 1938, Congress voted Armistice Day a federal holiday. Unfortunately the very next year, in 1939, World War II began."
(quote from Wikipedia)

After the second World War, in the US, the name was changed to Veterans Day, to honor all who served in any of our country's conflicts.

On Thursday my elementary school honored veterans with a special assembly. Veterans in our community are invited to attend, and are recognized and asked to stand as their hear "their" song sung in a medley of service songs by our students.

With several military installations surrounding us, the area has the honor of supporting many, many veterans. My thanks to all of them.

1 comment:

Seeker said...

I didn't know about all those "elevens" regarding Armistice Day. It gives meaning to the "eleventh hour", doesn't it?