Sunday, December 17, 2006

It's so nice to have heat again!

It was our turn, and I really don't mean to complain. So many people have been hit hard with natural disasters over the past year or two, I almost feel petty mentioning it. Nevertheless, our huge windstorm knocked the power out Thursday evening, and we didn't get it back until evening yesterday (Saturday).

The fireplace helped a little, although I don't have a woodpile, and those 3-hour logs don't give out too much heat. I have a gas stove, and was able to light it with a match, so I could have hot water and I could cook on the stovetop. It did get pretty cold in here, and I spent a portion of yesterday at my friend's house, where I took a shower and curled up to nurse my chestcold.

I got home in time to throw myself together before another friend picked me up to go to the Christmas Revels. We went last year, and it was great fun aqain this year. http://www.pugetsoundrevels.org/ This link will tell you more about it, but in a nutshell it included some of the history Quebec and the French Canadians, a dance duel between a French Canadian and the devil, the Abbots Bromley Horn Dance (http://www.timetravel-britain.com/columns/traditions/traditions01.shtml), and the Rapper Sword Dance (http://www.kickback.btinternet.co.uk/Mr.Leslies/Banbury.Rapper.html). There are many other things, and the audience participates in some of it. I'm really glad I had the chance to go, and I send my gratitude to the friend who invited me.

Meanwhile, Christmas moves toward me at an alarming pace, and I am not prepared. My greatest concern is getting the packages out. Cassie says nothing will arrive in time now...to which I say phooey, and why didn't I get things together sooner, and that won't stop me trying. So, I'm off to wrap and pack!

No comments: