Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Jingly Things

Himself was a cute little elf. He sang with gusto, shook his wrist energetically (unfortunately, NOT the wrist witht he jingle bells on), and looked absolutely adorable in his elf hat. And then he saw me and shouted, "Yaya!" and waved and waved. He made it through the Toddler Two part of the program, but collapsed in a heap of artistic nerves and tears at the grand finale, so we didn't hear him sing "We Wish You A Merry Christmas." It was a wonderful program. I didn't know other people's kids could be cute, but they were.

Earlier today I had a phone conversation with my Houston Grands. Typically, I asked questions and they answered when they remembered they were on the phone. The oldest turned 8 yesterday. I made him a secret book: a copy of Treasure Island cleverly hollowed out to create a secret place to keep special things. It was worth the extra $$ to the post office to know that he received his birthday gift on his birthday. And I am pleased that the gifts (and the little boy's Christmas stocking) arrived before Christmas Day. Their first Christmas together, I didn't get things mailed until January. Now you know what kind of Grandma I am.

In my defense, I'm fighting an awful cold. I began coming down with it while our power was out last week, and stayed home Monday and today from work. I was a mess yesterday, too, and never should have gone in. Now I am officially on Winter Break, which I choose to refer to as Christmas vacation. My time is my own. I can stay up as late as I want; only I'm so tired with the cold that I just want to go to bed, so that's my plan.

TTFN

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh now I can't wait for my little one to be in a school play too one day. It sound so cute! I hope you get lots of rest and nurse that cold away. Take care of yourself. Stay well.
Warm greetings your way, Hannelie

Steve said...

He loves the treasure book. Here's hoping he gets a lot of good use out of it.

Hliza said...

Merry Christmas to all of you!