Thursday, December 28, 2006

Resolutions

I gave up making New Year's Resolutions years ago. I always started out strong, and with great committment, waiting for January 1 so I could put my resolution into practice. I knew there was magic in the process, and somehow, mysteriously, I would be a completely different person by January 2.

Year after year I vowed and resolved to do all the things that would change me into the person I so much wished to be: I would diet, lose weight, exercise daily, read my Bible religiously, never raise my voice in anger, stop complaining, learn to be content and make lemonade out of my life-lemons, journal daily, write a novel, take classes, clean the closets...

I don't know if I could live with myself if I became the person who did all those things! All these years later, the worst that's happened is that I am older, and not so disappointed with who I am, in spite of my resolution failures. Along the way, I learned some things.

People like me; it's easy to be on the A List when I make the list myself! I do things that matter to me, and that makes a difference to others. It doesn't matter what others think; I have opinions, they're mine, so there. I make mistakes and life goes on. My grandchildren think I'm great, and who matters more than they do? And when I have bad days, I know they'll pass.

So, I don't make New Year's Resolutions any more. Rather, I limit myself to one that I make anew each day--sometimes several times a day--to keep doing the best I know how. No one can hope to achieve perfection, the best resolution is to just keep practicing.

1 comment:

Chickwriter said...

And I on the other hand am making the same old resolutions again. Getting my weight under control has now become a task I can no longer ignore. My cholestorol is up, and my border-line diabetes is slipping over so....
Resolution 1,298,997... walk every day, watch the sweets, and get with the program. Stand by for results.
Donna