Saturday, March 17, 2007

Pulling Weeds

What a nice day. The weather is turning to spring, and in honor of that, I worked in my flower bed this afternoon. For a solid two hours I clawed at the weeds, digging down to grasp the taproot, hoping to yank it whole from the ground. Taproots grow deeply, and it isn't easy to pull one up whole. I succeeded only once or twice on very young dandelions, not yet fully entrenched.

Three sad primroses, left to fend for themselves inside a plastic grocery store bag, were rescued and planted in a newly cleared space. Whether they survive remains to be seen.

Rhizomes have broken the surface of the earth. A few years ago I planted some nearly dead irises. They grew! Maybe they need to be thinned...

Listen to me! I sound like a gardener, don't I? Almost as if I know what I'm doing. I've picked up bits and pieces here and there, but mostly I just play in the dirt and pretend. My garden gloves are black with the rich, moist soil. I filled two boxes with stray grass, last year's oak leaves, bits of pine trees, and dandelions. When I look at the flowerbed, I can see what I did. That's what I miss in my job. I work hard for hours, and at the end of the day I can't see what I did. Chores can be very satisfying.

No comments: