Saturday, March 3, 2007

Writing

I love to write. I love turning a phrase to make its meaning just exactly right. But I don't write much these days. My last post, Murder by Omission, was written for a competition in my writer's group. The challenge was to write a two page horror story. It's pretty hard to set a tone, a mood, and develop a plot in only two pages. I'm not sure how well I succeeded, in spite of the positive comments I have received.

The writer's group, Writer's Roundtable, is a great place to try out different things. Members can read their work and invite criticisms from other members, although the people are so nice they don't like to take a chance on hurting anyone's feelings. This group has published two anthologies, in order to give ourselves an opportunity to experience being published. My poetry and short stories are included, and I did most of the illustrations for both books.

Unfortunately, I don't attend anymore, although I still consider myself a member. The group meets at the local Borders, and getting there involves driving in the dark on the freeway. I'm just too nervous these days to face the traffic under those conditions.

It would be great to find a writing partner. I would like to work with someone to develop a good story. I might do well on a scene, but don't know where the story is going. Often, I just don't know what happens next.

I've joined an online reading/writing group through Yahoo. Some of the members are authors I have read over the years, and I love seeing this 'person' side of them. Who knows...maybe someday I really will be an author.

2 comments:

Hann said...

Go and drop in at Pauline's blog, "Writting down the words". She is giving writters classes and do alot of it, you will like her blog and have lots to share!
She is in my blogroll.

HLiza said...

Oh good for you! I had always wanted to be a writer too..but time is limited, and that blocks ideas too. Besides, I dunno if I should write in my native language or English..my English command is still of a second-language user. Can't wait to see your writings published!