Monday, July 30, 2007

Oh...I finished something...

It wasn't very long ago I was posting about some of the projects I have waiting for me here at home. It's been a busy week, and I have finished two of those projects. The closet is cleaned, the linens and rags are organized and residing benignly in their new plastic storage drawers. I even changed the placemats on the table, and found a couple of tablecloths I didn't know I owned (two still in packaging). It felt pretty good to see that mess cleaned up. Lurking among the rags and linens were lightbulbs. Bet I won't have to buy lightbulbs for a year...who knew there were so many hiding in there? AND, as I refolded placemats, I found a pearl ring I thought was gone forever. Maybe this is why some people clean house regularly?

The other major accomplishment is the unpacking of mom's collectibles. She didn't have much that was fancy, just a few odd pieces of Hummel figurines. I dusted them every week of my life growing up, and now they are unpacked and I can dust them again. What memories unwrapping these figures brought back! Periodically, mom would fill a dishpan with warm, soapy water and gently wash the pieces. That's a project for another day.

Mixed in among the figures were a couple of surpises: the figure of Fritzi, our dachshund, that I made in second grade, and a ceramic brown bear my brother sculpted when he was in grade school. Those sat on the mantel with the Hummels, and were just as valuable to mom as anything else she had. All these pieces were shipped to me by my brother, about ten years ago, after mom passed away. I'm only holding onto them for a time. They will eventually go to my daughter. In fact, my daughter helped me unwrap them this morning. It felt good to spend that time with her. My mother's memory, me, my daughter, and her unborn twin girls--four generations of women.

3 comments:

HLiza said...

There must be so much memories in there..show us some of the collections one day please!

Hann said...

Now that sounds like a lovely time you had. I wish I could have done the same after my mum passed away, but my sisters apparently took it all :-(

Liz Wolfe said...

Hi! Thanks for the comment on my blog. I'm really enjoying our little dog. She's wonderful companionship.
Love the look of your blog and I see we have a couple of interests in common -- cross stitching and crochet. Nice to meet you.