Monday, July 9, 2007

Seems like summer should be a time for guilt-free relaxing. I worked hard all year in two schools, doing two jobs to the best of my ability, often waking during the night to worry about students or something left undone. I spent many days at work long after my official quitting time, taking care of details, making phone calls, writing reports, analyzing information, filing, etc.

So why do I feel guilty for doing nothing now?

I think I'm being hard on myself. If I go back to bed, take a nap, lie on the couch and read, I fret. Seems like I ought to be weeding that mess out front where the flowers hide, trimming the suckers off the cherry trees, running the vacuum.

When I have Jack I don't feel like that at all. I can easily justify coloring with him, or doing play-doh. In the last two weeks, we spent a lot of time out back with the hose. We've planted some flowers, played with the hose, cleaned off the porch and patio. He can't do much damage with water, and all he really wants me for is someone to talk to. When we need to be quiet, we come in and color. I just love Crayola Color Wonder!

Grandchildren really gave me a new lease on life. I know, that old bromide is so trite, but so true. Since the first day I met The Boy in Houston, I've had a new reason for being, and each subsequent child has added to the focus of my life. I really do thank God for my grandchildren.

No comments: