Monday, October 8, 2007

October Thoughts

Today is Columbus Day. I seem to remember always getting off school for Columbus Day as a kid, but our school district doesn't recognize it and we have school as usual. The local military bases, however, do recognize Columbus Day as one of the Federal Monday-Holidays, so attendance is lower at many of our schools. On the other hand, this Friday is State Teacher In-Service Day, so there will be no public school. This is our first 3-day weekend this year.

This time a year ago I was already exhausted and ready for the year to end. This year I'm enjoying my job so much more. I think because of getting the sleep apnea under control. I went on a weekend trip to Portland a year ago, with some friends, to the Women of Joy Conference. One of the women who shared our hotel room told me she had trouble sleeping because she kept waiting for me to breathe again. Other people had mentioned my snoring was pretty bad, so I finally listened and did a sleep study. At the study I learned that I was getting only 60% oxygen while I slept, and a bi-pap machine was recommended.

Well, I've used the machine pretty religiously ever since I received it in January, and I must admit I am so much better rested than I remember being in years. I can get up and function in the morning; I don't fight sleep even on the drive (only 3 miles) to work, and I'm no longer sitting at my desk trying to stay awake. I'm more alert, and I'm doing my job better than I have in years. I never dreamed lack of sleep was affecting me so intensely. The only drawback I can see is that the machine is noisy--a kind of a white noise, that muffles everything and I think also contributes to the sleep, and sometimes the alarm goes off for 10 minutes before it filters into my awareness.

Now the question...do I drag this humongous machine with me to Houston at Christmas? I really don't want to, because it is big and heavy, but I also want to be able to sleep well while I'm there. Decisions, decisions...

1 comment:

Steve said...

Given that the children are capable of laying waste to an area the size of Hiroshima in about the same amount of time as Fat Boy, I would probably recommend against bringing it.