Sunday, March 2, 2008

A Grandma's Purpose

Since I became a grandma six years ago, I have thought a lot about just what it means to be a grandparent. A child needs a place to be him/herself. A place to learn without judgement or too many restrictions. A place to get his/her bucket of self esteem filled so full that it will never empty out, no matter how large a hole gets poked in it. I hope my home is a place where Jack and his cousins/sisters will be able to be without getting yelled at, without getting in trouble. After a while, I do mind tripping over fire trucks and stepping on 'narbles'. On the other hand, Jack lets the dog in and out, makes sure she is fed, hides her milkbone treats, and splashes water all over the kitchen floor while he does the dishes. When he goes home and I pick up after him, my reward is the memory of him looking up at me and saying, "Yaya, I just wuv you." When he spends the night he snuggles up so close to me. Sometimes we put Mickey Mouse (who he used to refer to as 'Mick da Mouse') in the DVD player and sit together on the couch. I stitch ('Yaya, are going to needle dat?')and we watch cartoons together.

Yesterday he made his own "chokwat milk" and heated his PB&J in the microwave. He is so independent. It makes me feel proud to see him unafraid to try things. He has so much confidence: so much more than I have even now at my age.

A little bragging here: my children are wonderful parents, and my grands are delightful, talented, funny kids. They think there is nothing much better than pulling the needle through the fabric as I cross stitch. And they think I am wonderful.

The most important thing a grandparent can do is to love without criticism.

4 comments:

Sandra said...

You're right! I used to say that God's love for us isn't like a parents love, but like a grandparent love, truly unconditional and supportive.

Jo said...

I am in total agreement with you on that. I love being a grandmother... There is nothing else like it in the whole world.

Java said...

What a wonderful post!!!! I agree with you, you are the best YaYa out there, keep up the good work.

Steve said...

It's been a while. Everything going all right?