Saturday, June 14, 2008

Day Two

In spite of no sleep all night, I got up around 9ish, got dressed, and headed out the door for Curves. By the time I got there it was 9:40 and I was due to meet my Saturday Sisters for coffee at 10:00. So I did a partial circuit and cut my workout short, thinking I would make up some time later today on the treadmill. I got home, and had the worst chest pain I've ever had. I never had pain like this before my heart surgery. I was pretty sure it was acid reflux, and Tums were not handling it. So I drove myself over to Urgent Care, where I received a lecture about never driving myself anywhere if I have chest pain, especially with my history. I was told I should have called the paramedics and gone to an ER. They did an EKG on me, and Dr said it didn't look quite right, so they called the paramedics who took me down town to Tacoma General. I probably got there about noon. They ran labs, gave me an IV, and let me take a nap. When the labs finally came back, the doctor (I really liked this man) said after that many hours of chest pain, the labs should have shown something, and since they didn't I was going to be discharged with a diagnosis of: chest pain of unknown origin.

Yep. State of the art medical care. I persuaded the doctor to prescribe Prevacid for me, which controlled my acid reflux for many years before my insurance company decided I didn't need it. My doctor's viewpoint is that I need to know the difference between a heart attack and reflux. I didn't know whethr to put a nitroglycerin under my tongue or eat another handful of Tums. The pain was at a 10 when I first arrived, and I hd tears in my eyes..I was so scared of what might be going on. It now is 11:30 and i am home. I picked up my prescriptions, grabbed a junior bacon cheeseburger at Wendy's, and I guess I'll get back on the train tomorrow.

I still have pain in my chest. OH! They weighed me, and the biggest news is that I now am Officially 300 pounds. I am happy about that.

No comments: