Friday, July 11, 2008

Experiment


Last summer, Jack fell in love with gardening. I don't have a real garden; I have a patch of weeds encosed within a stone barrier. Jack and I would go shopping and pick up plants we liked, then bring them home and put them in containers on the back patio (as opposed to the front patio, which we don't have). We planted geraniums, petunias, impatiens. This year, I am going to fill a pot with sand and put in nasturtium seeds. The best nasturtiums I ever grew were seeds dropped in a sandy corner near the sidewalk. I know they do not thrive in rich soild, although that will contribute to lovely leaves. I think it will be interesting to see if we can grow nasturtiums. I can't think of those tender little flowers without remembering a military neighbor out at McChord. She alays referred to them as "nasturniums." Which does sound like it should be the name of a flower. In an effort at sumi-e painting several years ago, I did my own rendition of nasturtiums, which I present for your pleasure here today.

No comments: