Monday, October 26, 2009

FALL!

I love Fall, and this year is no exception. Leaves are flying in the wind, crowding together in soggy heaps in the gutters along the road, and filling lawns with their color. Especially wonderful are the broad leaf Maple leaves. These leaves are as large as dinner plates and a brilliant yellow. I have Oaks in my yard, and the leaves are a dull brown; not nearly as exciting as the Maple. I'd like to trade trees with the neighbor on the corner.

We have had tons of rain recently, so Lakewood is damp and the streets are wet. The road surfaces reflect lights most of the day with the overcast darkening the sky. Fall always feels like the start of things to me. I suppose that is from my years in school and my twenty-plus years of teaching, when school begins nearly in autumn. The air is brisk and the wind is moist with the promise of more rain. The rain adds to Christmas joy, too, when roads and puddles reflect Christmas lights everywhere.

This is the time of year to settle in and get cozy with a good book or dvd and some needlework. A splendid way to spend some time.

1 comment:

Cassie said...

I love fall too. You have to be careful about those beautiful leaves though. They clog the storm drains and then the roads flood. I'm pretty sure that's what causes that lake to form out front that I used to play in when I was little.